Portable devices

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

Isabellah

Portable devices

Post by Isabellah » Wed 19th Jan, 2022 8:21 am

Hello There! I was interested was is your opinion regarding portable devices used for repairs and for small fix or DIY projects, I am talking about portable screwdrivers and soldering irons, maybe other type of portable devices you know. I would like to know your opinion, is worth using them or its just a useless waist of time, can those portable things be used for a bigger projects, or should I buy a portable screwdriver from BOSCH that looks like its a PRO stuff

MatthewC

Re: Portable devices

Post by MatthewC » Wed 19th Jan, 2022 4:30 pm

Hi Isabellah

My advice in doing any major project is to buy the best quality hand tools you can afford at the start of the project. A good cordless drill/screwdriver is essential - my Bosch came with two batteries which is so useful as you never run out. I did have a cheap drill/screwdriver to start with but it was heavy and not really up to it, so I wished I'd had the Bosch to start with. I do also have an old mains drill which has more power for drilling into stone or brick.

The next most useful thing I have is a B&D Workmate - I keep on meaning to get a new one but the one I have is really old and still does the job. I did buy a cement mixer at the start and sold it two years later to my builder; it was very useful for knocking up lime mortar and plaster and I did loads of little jobs using it. I also wish I had bought my own 9" angle grinder as I hired one many times.

The other tools you may want are really down to what you intend doing yourself. If you do any carpentry then a decent cross cut saw with a table would be a valuable investment (something else I wish I'd bought); if relevant, check that the 45 deg cut will go through a 2" thick bit of wood (mine doesn't quite which is really annoying). I also have a 4.5" angle grinder but 5" is a better choice; I have done a lot with mine and only cut myself once!

Best of luck

Matthew

worms

Post by worms » Thu 20th Jan, 2022 6:10 am

Yes, battery tools are now a much more viable option than they used to be, but battery packs are expensive. While I hate the concept of getting sucked into one particular brand, if you are starting to acquire tools it might be worth choosing a brand and sticking with it, so that you can share batteries across the range. Although I have a mix of Bosch and De Walt, all my battery ones are De Walt. You can sometimes pick up the twin pack of De Walt impact driver and hammer drill for a good price, with two batteries and charger, which forms a good starter pack for later additions.

Isabellah

Post by Isabellah » Thu 20th Jan, 2022 8:28 am

Agree! But you have to be sure that one brand will have a wide range of tools able to cover all your needs, even if De walt has a portable screwdrivers those are not all the time good, you have less power then a Bosch screwdriver tool, both remote, and you can't be sure Bosch tools like remote dremel are good enough to be used on a daily basis (Spoiler! those aren't good at all, you'll have to charge them every 20 minutes and the speed is not enough to work with hard metals, more than that a known problem of Bosch dremel's is the change speed mechanism, it will brake after 2 weeks of daily use)! It would be just nice if all of them will have the same battery rack so you could use different batteries

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Thu 20th Jan, 2022 11:06 am

YES for sure .... but with some remarks.

I wouldn't be without my 1/4 hex impact driver (screwdriver), I also have a lot of other cordless tools which I rely on a lot.

My caveat would be generally once you go down one brand its an expensive switch due to the batteries. You therefore need to give consideration to the range of tools that you may want early on. I made the mistake a number of years ago and went with Ingersoll rand as they made some killer 1/2 impact guns. Great tool but they only did a few others.

I now use Ryobi one cordless, the very basic / entry level tools are not that great but the higher spec / brushless ones seem better. They also do a massive range or different tools which was a big plus to me.
I don't think Ryobi are at the Dewalt / Makita quality level (and definitely not Fesstool) but for me they have an okay balance of cost vs quality and get the job done with the knowledge that I have not bought the best and that it might break.

p.s. Not sure on a portable battery soldering iron as heat takes a lot of energy and that is not easy for cordless. If you want a portable soldering option I'd go gas powered.

Cheers,
Richard B.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome » Thu 20th Jan, 2022 10:48 pm

Well, I can only add an oscillating saw, since buying one I have’t picked up a hand saw for small jobs. I bought a corded unit it gets in tighter places than the battery powered units.
Ron

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Fri 21st Jan, 2022 8:26 am

Gothichome wrote:
Thu 20th Jan, 2022 10:48 pm
Well, I can only add an oscillating saw, since buying one I have’t picked up a hand saw for small jobs. I bought a corded unit it gets in tighter places than the battery powered units.
Ron
I love my one of these (actually my second after a bunch of original oak resulted in blue smoke escaping from my first). They are another very usefull tool and will do jobs no other tool can, however, after my bit driver / screwdriver I would struggle to pick my second favorite cordless tool as I like them all so much.

Cheers,
Richard B.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Fri 21st Jan, 2022 6:45 pm

One *big* advantage of going for a branded name that Trades use is the batteries will be available pretty much for ever - I use Makita LXT, even if Makita ever stop producing the batteries then there are plenty of after market options.

Once you've got the initial tool + battery + charger purchase out of the way, buying "bare" tools afterwards (no battery, no charger) is not too expensive.

Cheap Ni-Cad cordless tools are rubbish, the battery will die long before the tool does.

Makita is not the ultimate quality some folks think it is, but I've got a large collection of their LXT 18v tools now and about 5 batteries and I'm still happy with the choice I made, they are plenty good enough for me.

a twig

Post by a twig » Fri 21st Jan, 2022 7:55 pm

Interesting, I had always been a Makita man as their performance was generally equal or better than deWalt but at a lower price, those times are long gone now, the introduction of the Makita “red” range (previous years designs made under license in China) showed that, so am slowly transitioning over to dewalt now.

One big exception is my Bosch corded SDS which was been utterly abused for the last 7 years and still works brilliantly

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Sat 22nd Jan, 2022 10:27 am

Dewalt are owned by Black & Decker, have been for many years, but they seemed to change their way over the last 20 years and go downmarket. I had someone working here who had gone with Dewalt cordless and was regretting it, and I could see why - they weren't great.

There's Makita and there's Makita. The LXT 18v stuff is good, their lesser ranges less so. They generally offer the LXT tools are both brushed or brushless, the brushless commanding a hefty premium that unless you're using them all day every day I don't believe is worth it.

It's true for most of the mainstream manufacturers - Bosch varies from cheap'n'cheerful, aimed squarely at the budget DIY market, to some very good tools indeed.

There's a few brands like Festool and Trend that seem to stick to the higher quality end of the market, but everyone else seems to want to embrace the full spectrum.

One I had to laugh at, when I worked for a major DIY retailer some 20-odd years ago in their head office, was JCB. At one point they would licence their name out to any old tat - honestly, the cheapest, nastiest products you can think of had JCB willingly emblazoned across them. Eventually they got a grip and stopped prostituting their name out to any old rubbish! They'd seen what had happened with Caterpillar and clothing and thought it was easy money I suspect.

88v8

Post by 88v8 » Sun 23rd Jan, 2022 10:21 am

Isabellah wrote:
Wed 19th Jan, 2022 8:21 am
...should I buy a portable screwdriver from BOSCH that looks like its a PRO stuff
This small Bosch IXO is very good as a screwdriver, surprisingly powerful and with the angle drive it will get into small spaces.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255338803687 ... SwXz9h5d6o
This is the earlier version I have that came with an offset and angle drive.
Buy it...

I also have a lot of Ryobi One battery tools - drill, saw, multitool, impact driver - which are OK, not top class but fine for DIY, and have lasted me more than ten years.

Ivor

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Mon 24th Jan, 2022 7:49 pm

Feltwell wrote:
Sat 22nd Jan, 2022 10:27 am

One I had to laugh at, when I worked for a major DIY retailer some 20-odd years ago in their head office, was JCB. At one point they would licence their name out to any old tat - honestly, the cheapest, nastiest products you can think of had JCB willingly emblazoned across them. Eventually they got a grip and stopped prostituting their name out to any old rubbish! They'd seen what had happened with Caterpillar and clothing and thought it was easy money I suspect.
His Lordship has some JCB socks. That’s the closest he is allowed to machinery of any description.

DJH

Post by DJH » Wed 26th Jan, 2022 9:04 am

Nice one Lady A...I was told not long ago not to lift anything heavy. Pity I wasn't told that about 50 years ago...
At least I don't have to fetch herselfs handbag nowadays. Far too heavy for me dear. :D :D

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Thu 27th Jan, 2022 7:42 pm

DJH wrote:
Wed 26th Jan, 2022 9:04 am
Nice one Lady A...I was told not long ago not to lift anything heavy. Pity I wasn't told that about 50 years ago...
At least I don't have to fetch herselfs handbag nowadays. Far too heavy for me dear. :D :D
Ah, she is obviously a woman of substance. Can probably be relied upon to produce any emergency supplies necessary from the recesses of her portmanteau

philpjuk100

Post by philpjuk100 » Fri 28th Jan, 2022 12:35 pm

I know it is not general wisdom but when I bought a battery drill and saw for use on my boat (mains tools are banned by the marina) I chose Bosch. I did bring them home for the occasional job but found it annoying when the batteries ran out halfway through the job and reverted to corded tools. The battery recharging intervals became more frequent and the cost of new bosch batteries was frightening so I bought a replacement cheap rechargeable drill from Asda (£19) half the price of a Bosch battery, It did the job ok, but did not feel as nice. The battery lasted about as long as the Bosch one and I was prepared to dispose of it and buy another Asda one but found that inside the battery there were ordinary cells "C" type, I found some on eBay with solder tags on which were 5 Amp-hour. A set was just a little cheaper than a new Asda drill. These give longer periods between charges but take longer to charge and still work well after about two years. The Bosch battery was probably made from common cells as well but it was disposed of on the wife's "buy new depose of the old" scheme (how does this explain the wardrobe full of shoes?) Batteries probably have an easier life in regular use